The future Pettigrew Street appears on the 1884 Sanborn Map as an unnamed open section of railroad right-of-way along the south side of the tracks. The name was in use by 1887, when it appeared in Branson's Directory. It has been suggested that Pettigrew Street was named for Confederate Gen. James Johnston Pettigrew, a native of Tyrrell County who commanded the 22nd North Carolina Infantry until his death in combat in July 1863. However, Pettigrew had no connection to the Durham area and no other streets in Durham are named for Confederate figures: Thus it appears unlikely that the general is the source of the street's name. Branson's shows Pettigrew in its current location, veering southeast from Chapel Hill Street and running past the Blackwell (later American) tobacco factory to the depot. By 1913, an eastern section had been built, from McMannen (now South Mangum) Street along the railroad to the B.G. Briggs Wood Yard in East Durham - the point of its present-day terminus at Ellis Road. East of Alston Avenue, Pettigrew became "Railroad Street." By 1925, the entire length was called "Pettigrew." The gap at the original Durham's Station site between Blackwell and McMannen remained, but an extension west of Chapel Hill Street had been opened as well as several disconnected sections, each named "Pettigrew Street," as far west as Jordan (now Fulton) Street.