Peabody Street

Peabody Street appears as a wagon road paralleling the railroad from Chapel Hill Street to McMannen (later Mangum) on the Blount Map of Durham's Station c. 1867. By 1884 it was called "Rail Road Street," but bears its current name in the 1887 Branson's Directory of Durham.

Peabody has always been a street with separated sections. In 2011, its downtown section extends from Duke Street east and curves to intersect Main Street near the Duke East Campus. In the 1970s the southern leg of the Downtown Loop, running along the original Peabody right of way, was named "Peabody," but it was later changed to become a westward extension of Ramseur Street.

Washington Duke
West Village