Liggett Street

Opened by 1907, Liggett was originally named "Pope Street," possibly for John W. Pope, a county commissioner 1902-3 and town alderman 1911-13. Connected with Washington Street around 1930, it took that name and kept it until the Washington-Morris-Corporation intersection was reconfigured around 1960. The current name recognizes the Liggett & Myers Tobacco factory (now West Village) at its southern end.

John W. Pope
West Village