Holloway Street



The first section of Holloway Street, between Mangum and Cleveland Streets, appears on the 1887 Branson's Directory map. By 1893 it had been continued east beyond Roxboro Street, and by 1925 ran through East Durham and joined a road to Wake Forest.

Plats show various individuals named "Holloway" as landowners in the area, leading to the conclusion that the street was named for the family. The westernmost blocks of Holloway Street were realigned during downtown urban renewal in the 1970s. A section between Mangum Street and the Downtown Loop became City Hall Plaza, and the Loop incorporated Holloway to Roxboro Street.

Landmarks
1976 Main LibraryBeth El Synagogue