Chapel Hill Street

The route predates Durham's incorporation, appearing on the 1923 Blount map of Durham's Station c. 1865 as beginning at the Roxboro-Fayetteville road, crossing the Hillsborough-Raleigh road (later Main Street) at Five Points and continuing southwest toward Chapel Hill. The section between Mangum and Peabody streets was called "Green Street" until it was connected with Chapel Hill Street by the railroad underpass completed in 1922. The namesake was probably Caleb B. Green, brother of John Ruffin Green, who founded Durham's first newspaper, the Tobacco Plant, in 1872 and, as a state legislator, was instrumental in Durham County's creation in 1881. Leading away from downtown, Chapel Hill Street follows one of the five ridgelines whose convergence underlies the original town site. Today, besides Chapel Hill Street, the old route forms all or portions of Kent Street, Chapel Hill Road, University Drive and Old Chapel Hill Road in Durham County.

Washington DukeBenjamin Newton DukeStanford Leigh WarrenWilliam BlackwellJohn Ruffin Green
Five PointsDuke Memorial United Methodist ChurchImmaculate Conception Catholic ChurchRailroad UnderpassMain Post OfficeDurham Convention CenterAcademy of Music