Fayetteville Street Corridor Streets
* Denotes streets that no longer exist.
Originally named "Jones", the street was renamed "Albemarle" in the early 1950s, probably to avoid confusion with Great Jones Street downtown.
Alston Avenue appears as "a Neighborhood Road" on the Blount Map of Durham's Station c. 1867, with an unidentified farmhouse at its junction with the Raleigh road. A 1910 Durham County map labels it "Austin Avenue."
Ashton Place, which no longer exists, was a one-block connector closed and built over for the Downtowner Motel in 1966.
Probably named for John Moses Avery, executive with North Carolina Mutual Life Insurance and a landowner in the Hayti neighborhood. Avery Street was built prior to 1919 and remains in its original configuration.
It is likely that the alley, which no longer exists, is named for the Banks family who were among the early African-American landowners in Durham.
Barbee Street, which no longer exists, crossed the N.C. 147 right of way near present-day Durham Tech. Its namesake is likely G.W. Barbee, who owned land in the area in the 1850s.
Bell Street was built before 1925 and remains at its original position and extent. Its namesake is unknown.
Bern Street, built prior to 1925, originally ran east from Pine (now South Roxboro) Street for about 75 yards before curving north to cross Moline and intersect Dunstan.
Blackwell takes its name from William Thomas Blackwell, whose Blackwell Durham Tobacco Co. manufactured Bull Durham smoking tobacco. It appears, unnamed, on the Blount map of Durham c. 1867.
Blane Street appears on a 1925 city map, is absent from the 1937 Sanborn Insurance map, then appears again near its original location on a city map from 1967.
Branch Place no longer exists, partially subsumed into the N.C. 147 right-of-way and partially by the Rick Hendrick automobile dealership on Pettigrew Street.
Formerly called Midway, the street appears on a 1907 map extending two blocks east from Fayetteville Road (now Fayetteville Street) into the present-day site of N.C. Central University.
Broadway first appears on the 1887 Branson's Directory map running west from Mangum Street to Rigsbee Avenue.
It is possible that the street was named for Frank P. Burch, a partner in the Durham Real Estate Agency incorporated in 1887 with W.T. Blackwell as principal.
Burnette Street was opened by 1925 and appears as a one-block unpaved street on the 1937 Sanborn map. The name's origin is not known.
The street is named for Julian Shakespeare Carr, partner in Blackwell Tobacco, banker, manufacturer and philanthropist active in the Democratic Party and Confederate veterans' organizations.
Chapel Hill Street
The route predates Durham's incorporation, appearing on the 1923 Blount map of Durham's Station c. 1865 as crossing the Hillsborough-Raleigh road (later Main Street) at present-day Five Points.
"Chatham Alley" appears on a 1925 street map, a one-block route between Pettigrew and Glenn streets in a textile district. The name probably came from the Chatham Knitting Mills on nearby Alston Avenue.
A short street in the Hayti area, Chess appears on a 1967 street map but disappeared during subsequent Durham Freeway construction.
Its name is from Trinity United Methodist Church, Durham's longest-established congregation, which stands at the street's northern end. The first church on the site was built in 1860.
Named for the product on which Durham's industrial base was founded, Cigarette Street ran one block between Main and Peabody through the Liggett & Myers factory complex.
City Hall Plaza
Originally the westernmost section of Holloway Street, City Hall Plaza was created with opening of the current City Hall in 1977.
Originally Cleveland Street was part of Roxboro to Fayetteville road, part of a state system to connect county seats. The name Cleveland first appears in the 1887 city directory.
Appearing as a dead-end alleyway on the 1913 Sanborn Insurance map, Coleman was later extended from Pettigrew Street through to Glenn. Its site was totally absorbed by the Durham Freeway right-of-way.
A stub remains of Cole Street, though most of the street was overlaid by the Durham Freeway. It was built prior to 1925, when it appears on a city street map.
Colfax appears on the 1913 Sanborn Map, running south from Pettigrew Street past the town limits. The name "Colfax" does not appear in county tax records of the period, or earlier.
Built as part of the Hope VI residential project in East Durham, Commerce Street was built after 2000 as an access to parking.
Concord Street is shown as "Swift Avenue" on a 1921 plat of "Merricksville," west of the North Carolina College campus. The name was changed to "Concord" by 1925.
Originally "Hughes Street," Cora Street was opened before 1884 The first namesake may have been W.R. Hughes, a Durham tobacco manufacturer c. 1870-1881. The name had become "Cora" by the summer of 1893.
Corcoran Street appears on the Blount map of Durham c. 1867 as Willard Street, running from Main Street south to the North Carolina Railroad station; its name was later changed to Depot.
Corporation Street marked the northern town limit when Durham was incorporated in 1869 as a one-mile square centered on the North Carolina Railroad depot.
Cox Avenue was opened before 1925, running northwest from Alston Avenue and dead-ending at a creek bottom past Grant Street. The stub west of Grant disappears from maps after 1967.
Overlaid by the Durham Freeway, Cozart Street may have been named for a James Cozart, an African-American listed as a Durham Township landowner in 1875.
Unchanged in location or length since it was opened, Dawkins Street appears on the 1913 Sanborn Insurance map. The namesake is unknown.
Dillard Street appears, as "New Dillard Street," on the Blount Map of Durham's Station c. 1867, identified as a wagon road cutoff to the Fayetteville Road.
Duke Street is undoubtedly named for Washington Duke, patriarch of the tobacco family whose residence stood at the street's intersection with Main Street.
Dunbar Street is shown on a 1911 plat of Stokesdale, an area west and north of the current North Carolina Central University campus owned by Mrs. A.H. Stokes. The name's origin is unknown.
Duncan Street was opened prior to 1925 and its original location and extent have not changed.
The street is named for Calvin Dunston, whose name appears on a 1911 plat as owning a large lot at the corner of "Dunston" Avenue and Pine (now South Roxboro) streets.
Dupree Street appears, as Lucille Street, on a 1911 plat. The name was changed some time after 1925 when Lucille was connected to a Dupree Street extending northwest from Alston Avenue.
Does not exsist
Originally ending at Ramseur Street on the south, Elizabeth Street was realigned during urban renewal to cross the Durham Freeway and join Fayetteville Street.
See Holland Street
The street first appears on a 1907 sketch map; a possible namesake is P.T. Elliott, who appears on a 1920 plat as owning land nearby at Holloway and Roxboro streets.
Elm is one of several streets that Julian Shakespeare Carr, a fancier of trees, shrubs and flowers, named when he developed Edgemont as worker housing for his Durham Hosiery Mill.
Enterprise Street appears on a 1925 city map, running from Pine (now South Roxboro) Street west to Overhill Terrace in then-developing Forest Hills. Its name is likely a reflection of the town's contemporary growth and building boom.
This was originally part of a Roxboro-to-Fayetteville road, in an early state system connecting county seats. It became a de facto Main Street in Hayti, Durham's first African-American neighborhood.
Originally Randolph Street, Fernway first appears on the 1887 Branson's Directory map. The name was changed to Fernway at some time after 1957.
Formosa Avenue first appears on a 1907 plat of "Hammond Property" owned by Brodie L. Duke; why the name was chosen is not known.
Foster Street was laid out after 1884, appearing first in Branson's 1887 Directory of Durham. A possible namesake is W.E. Foster, a city alderman in 1890.
Fowler Avenue's probable namesake is a Minerva Fowler, who is listed as a 19th-century property owner in the Hayti area.
Williamson W. Fuller, Duke family attorney instrumental in Durham County's creation, is the probable namesake for the street, which first appears on the 1888 Sanborn Map.
Gann Street was built prior to 1967, when it appears on the Wachovia Bank city map. As a connector between Coleman Place and Alston Avenue, it took the place of a Gillette Street section closed for the Durham Freeway interchange.
The street is named for the Geer family, landowners north of Durham's Station identified on the Blount Map of Durham c. 1867.
George Street was opened prior to 1925, when it is shown on a city street map extending past Lincoln Street on the present North Carolina Central University campus.
Gillette Avenue, originally "Glenn Street," was opened prior to 1925 and ran from Fayetteville Street east across Alston Avenue to Plum Street. The name was changed some time after 1951.
See Gillette Street
Gordon Street appears on the 1913 Sanborn Insurance map, curiously identified both with its current name and as "Vickers" - although Vickers Avenue is also shown a block farther west, suggesting a change of names from an earlier plat.
Gould Street, closed and covered during 1970s urban renewal, was built before 1925 and ran from Pine (now South Roxboro Street) one block to Pickett (later Philmont) Street.
Running south from Pettigrew Street past the town limits, Grant Street appears on the 1913 Sanborn Insurance map and by 1937 had reached its present-day extent
Great Jones Street
"Great" Jones Street distinguished the street between Peabody and Morris from the Jones Street (now Albemarle) five blocks west. It is named for Durham businessman Thomas Decatur Jones.
Gregson Street is named for Amos Gregson, who in 1886 was appointed pastor at what would later become Duke Memorial United Methodist Church. The original name of the street's section through Trinity Park, though, according to a 1901 plat, was "Hated."
A one-block connector between Whitted Street and Sparkman Alley, Guyes Alley appears on 1937 and 1949 city maps but had disappeared prior to Freeway construction and urban renewal.
Henry Alley appears on the 1907 Sanborn Map and remained until it was closed and covered over by the Durham Freeway in the late 1960s. A 1906 plat depicts a R.L.D. Henry lot on the alley's east side.
Hickory Street was opened prior to 1925, extending one block between Holt and Simmons. By 1951 it was extended another block north and a half block south, incorporating the former Goodwin Alley.
Like Main Street, Hillsborough Road was originally a precolonial trading path and later the wagon road between Hillsborough and Raleigh.
Holland Street, converted to pedestrian-only traffic after 1966, first appears as Ella Place on the 1913 Sanborn Map.
The first section of Holloway Street, between Mangum and Cleveland Streets, appears on the 1887 Branson's Directory map. Plats show various individuals named "Holloway" as landowners in the area.
Hood Street appears, as "Parish Place," on the 1907 Sanborn Map. The original name remained until some time after 1951, the change probably made to avoid confusion with the Parrish Street downtown.
Hunt Street appears in the 1887 Branson's Directory map, running two blocks between Mangum Street and Rigsbee Avenue. A possible namesake is Reuben Harris Hunt, who designed the 1878 First Baptist Church.
Occasionally known also as "Saunders Street," Husband Alley appears on the 1913 Sanborn Insurance map and remained a public street until its closing for Durham Freeway construction in the late 1960s.
I.L. "Buck" Dean Freeway
The restricted-access highway connecting Interstate 85 and Interstate 40 through downtown is named for Iley .L. "Buck" Dean, city councilman 1961-1964 and member of the state Board of Transportation.
Jackie Robinson Drive
Named for the Brooklyn Dodgers star at multiple positions who broke Major League Baseball's color barrier in 1947
Making its first map appearance in 1881, Jackson Street originally perpendicularly south from the railroad on the path of what would later be Ashton Place.
Jacob Street appears as "Holt Street," on a 1925 street map, extending between Colfax Street and Alston Avenue. The name was changed some time after 1967.
Lakewood Avenue is named for Lakewood Park, an amusement park the Durham Traction Co. opened in 1902 at the southwest terminus of its streetcar line.
Lawson Street appears as "Thomas Street" on a 1907 plat of Brodie L. Duke's land that includes the future site of N.C. Central University.
Liberty Street, opened by 1881, originally ran east from Church Street to Dillard. It was reconfigured in the early 1970s for form a short portion of the Downtown Loop.
Opened by 1907, Liggett was originally named "Pope Street," then became of Washington Street around 1930. It became Liggett Street after a realignment around 1960.
Presumably named for President Abraham Lincoln, Lincoln Street appears, paralleling Fayetteville Street, on a 1912 plat of Mrs. A.H. Stokes's property.
Opened by 1925, Linwood Avenue had reached its present-day extent. Its namesake is unknown.
Lyon Street was built by 1907, when the Sanborn Insurance map shows it as an alley between Main Street and Angier Avenue and a full-width street to Ramseur. The name's origin is not known.
Named for landowner George W. Macklin, Macklin Street first appears on the 1913 Sanborn map.
Long predating the town of Durham, Main Street was originally a wagon road between Hillsborough and Raleigh, running along the ridge that separates the Neuse and Cape Fear river watersheds.
William Mangum appears on the Blount Map of Durham's Station c. 1867 as owner of a large forest tract east of the Roxboro Road. Mangum Street appears in its present location on the 1884 Sanborn Map.
Now the Durham Arts Council parking lot, Manning Place previously extended to Roney Street. The Durham Convention Center was built over its eastern half in the late 1980s.
The street is named for a city food market, which shared the first floor of the 1903 municipal building (a.k.a Academy of Music) with city offices, at the present CCB Plaza site.
Masondale Avenue was built in the late 1930s as the College View suburb grew west and south from North Carolina College (now NCCU).
Sawyer (Mason) Street
Renamed "Sawyer Street" some time after 1951, Mason was built prior to 1913 and remains in its original location.
Massey Avenue, constructed prior to 1925, may have been named for Rufus Massey, a major landowner in southeastern Durham in the early 20th century.
Matthews Street appears by 1888 as "Red Cross Street," angling south from Blackwell to Proctor. The name was changed to "Matthews" by 1913; a 1904 plat refers to "Matthews Land" in the area.
McCoy Street appears on the 1913 Sanborn Map as an unnamed alley extending a few yards north from the dead end of Branch Alley.
Mebane Street was constructed prior to 1913, appearing as a full-width street between Fowler and St. Joseph and continuing as a single lane two blocks farther north to Ray Alley.
Memorial Street takes its name from Duke Memorial United Methodist Church, which occupies the block between Memorial and Chapel Hill streets.
Memphis Street was opened before 1913, when it appeared as "Markham Avenue" on the Sanborn Map - named, in all probability, for evangelist Edian Markham, whose 1869 brush arbor grew into St. Joseph's A.M.E. Church.
Named for African-American entrepreneur John Merrick, one of the developers of the Stokesdale Historic District through which the street runs.
Michie Alley may have been named for Capt. John C. Michie, long-time manager of Durham's water system and an officer in a local company of volunteers for the Spanish-American War.
Mobile Avenue was built before 1913, when it appeared on the Sanborn Insurance map, running three blocks west from Fayetteville Street in central Hayti.
On a 1911 plat, Moline appears as Doctor Moore Street; by the mid-1930s the name had been changed to Moline but the name's source is unknown.
A possible namesake for Moore Street namesake is Willis Moore, an 1887 trustee of the Colored Missionary (later White Rock) Baptist Church.
Named for Eugene Morehead, founder of Durham's first bank, Morehead Avenue was built around 1890, from Red Cross (later Matthews) Street west into the fashionable new residential section of Morehead Hill.
Morgan Street's probable namesake is Samuel Tate Morgan, son of the Neuse River planter Samuel D. Morgan. The street appears in Branson's Directory of 1887.
Predating the town of Durham, Morris Street appears on the Blount Map of Durham's Station c. 1867 as Mangum's Lane. Renamed for Robert F. Morris, who owned a hotel and tobacco manufactory near Five Points.
Mt. Vernon Street
Mount Vernon Avenue shared its name with the first Mount Vernon Baptist Church, to which it provided access from Ramsey Street. The street was closed and built over during downtown urban renewal in the 1970s.
Murphy Street appears on a 1925 city map, running two blocks south from Pettigrew to Cole Street. The southern block was closed by the Durham Freeway, while the northern block remains in its original site.
Most of Nelson Street was built before 1925 and retains its original configuration. A curving extension to the west, which meets Cecil Street, was opened in the 1940s.
An unnamed alley appears at the position of present-day Newman Street on a 1913 map. Later maps call it "Fratt Alley" (1925) and "Adrian." None of the name sources are known.
New Street, a one-block connector between Carr and Willard streets, was opened between 1902 and 1907 for a residential section west of the American (former Blackwell) Tobacco factory.
Presumably named for Orange County, the street first appears on the 1881 Gray Map between Clay (later Parrish) and Green (later Chapel Hill) streets.
An Oriole Street appears on 1907 and 1923 plats of land at and north of the present NCCU campus, but the street was apparently never actually built.
Opened before 1925, Otis Street served Durham's expanding African American suburb of College View south and west of North Carolina College (now NCCU). The name's origin is unknown.
Parrish Street appears as "Clay Street" on the 1884 Sanborn Map, and extends from Willard Street (later Corcoran) east past Roxboro Street. It was renamed for Edward J. Parrish, who built a tobacco warehouse covering most of the block between Mangum and Church.
Peabody Street appears as a wagon road paralleling the railroad from Chapel Hill Street to McMannen (later Mangum) on the Blount Map of Durham's Station c. 1867. The name "Peabody" appears on the 1887 Branson's Directory map.
Presumably named for fruit trees growing there, the street appears as "Peachtree Alley" on the 1913 Sanborn Insurance Map with a dogleg eastward extension that had disappeared by 1925.
The future Pettigrew Street appears on the 1884 Sanborn Map as an unnamed open section of railroad right-of-way along the south side of the tracks. The name, of unknown original, was in use by 1887, when it appeared in Branson's Directory.
Not to be confused with Pickett Road in west-central Durham, Pickett Street appears on the 1913 Sanborn Insurance map in central Hayti, but had disappeared by 1925.
Piedmont Avenue was built prior to 1913, when it appears on the Sanborn Insurance Map extending west from Fayetteville Street past the town limits.
Presumably named for the common poplar tree, Poplar Street was opened by 1887, when it is shown on the Branson's Directory map running between McMannen (later South Mangum) and Ramsey.
no longer exists; see New Street
Developed prior to 1925, the original Price Avenue ran between Lincoln and Fayetteville streets.
Proctor Street had opened prior to 1887, running west from Pine (later South Roxboro) beyond the town limits. Its namesake is J.S. Proctor, a landowner in the area.
Queen Street had been built prior to 1887, when it appeared on the Branson's Directory map running north from Peabody Street to an indefinite point beyond Liberty Street.
Ramseur Street first appears on the 1887 Branson's Directory map, running southeast from Dillard Street beyond the town limits. In the 1970s the southern leg of the Downtown Loop, formerly Peabody Street, was made part of Ramseur.
Obliterated by the Durham Freeway, Ramsey Street was opened by 1888 and eventually ran for four blocks south to Cobb Street at the northwest edge of Hayti.
Originally "Ray Alley," the street paralleled Mobile Avenue and was open by 1913. The name most likely is from Johnson and Elizabeth Ray, who settled in Hayti soon after the Civil War.
Red Cross Street
See Matthews Street
Rigsbee Avenue predates the town of Durham, appearing on the Blount Map of Durham's Station c. 1867 as Rigsbee's Lane and running into the farm of Atlas M. Rigsbee.
Roney Street bears the family name of Washington Duke's second wife, Artelia Roney of Alamance County. Artelia was the mother of Mary, Benjamin N. and James B. Duke.
Roxboro Street was originally a section of the Roxboro-Fayetteville road, part of a state system to connect county seats. It appears on the Blount Map of Durham's Station c. 1867.Roxboro Street was originally a section of the Roxboro-Fayetteville road, part of a state system to connect county seats. It appears on the Blount Map of Durham's Station c. 1867.
No longer exists; see Husband Alley
"Mason Street" was renamed "Sawyer Street" some time after 1951. Mason was built prior to 1913 and remains in its original location.
Seminary Avenue is named for a Baptist Female Seminary at the southwest corner of Mangum and Seminary in the 1800s.
See Simmons Street
Simmons Street, probably named for landowner Alfred Simmons, appears as "Sherman Street" on a 1912 plat of Mrs. A.H. Stokes's property on Fayetteville Street. By 1925, the name had been changed.
South Street was open by 1887, when the Branson's Directory shows it running south from Vivian Street beyond the town limits. The name probably refers to its direction.
Sparkman Alley appears as an undefined area in the middle of a block on the 1913 Sanborn Insurance map, and remained open until built over by the Fayette Place apartment complex in 1968.
Spaulding Street is named for C.C. Spaulding, manager and later president of the North Carolina Mutual Life Insurance Co. It appears on a 1912 plat of "Stokesdale" property belonging to a Mrs. A.H. Stokes.
St. Josephs Street*
St. Joseph Street was named for St. Joseph's African Methodist Episcopal Church, built on Fayetteville Street in 1892 at the site of evangelist Edian Markum's 1868 brush arbor.
Not to be confused with present-day Tatum Drive in southeastern Durham County, Tatum Place was opened by 1893 and closed during downtown urban renewal. Its site is now part of the Durham Bulls Athletic Park and Diamond View office complex.
Umstead Street was built prior to 1913 as the Hayti area grew with Durham's expanding African American population. It is named for J.N. Umstead, landowner whose tobacco field the street crossed.
First appearing on a city map in 1913, Vickers Avenue was named for landowner William Vickers. Vickers donated land near the street's terminus at Chapel Hill Street for Temple Baptist Church.
Village Avenue had been opened by 1925, with development of the College View neighborhood between Hayti and North Carolina College (now NCCU). It was closed for redevelopment by the university.
A "wagon road" in the approximate location of later Vivian Street, appears on the Blount Map of Durham's Station c. 1867. There is good evidence that the street is named for Vivian Blackwell, niece of tobacco manufacturer William T. Blackwell.
Walker Street was named for an Alex Walker, a landowner just east of the city limits in the late 1800s, or a member of the family. The street appears on 1900 deed and 1901 plat of land where the Durham Hosiery Mill was built in 1902.
Warren Street was closed and built over for the University Ford dealership during post-urban renewal redevelopment between American Tobacco and Willard Street.
Washington Street appears on Brodie Duke's 1901 plat of Trinity Park. Brodie named the Brodie named the street for his father, Washington Duke. Its first city map appearance was in 1913.
Opened in the 1890s, Whitted Street's likely namesake was James A. Whitted, principal of Durham's first graded school for African American children. Its route became part of the Fayette Place apartment complex opened in 1968.
Wilkerson Avenue is named for Albert W. Wilkerson, contractor and land developer in the West End; his residence was at 508 South Buchanan.
Willard Street was opened prior to 1887, running south from Chapel Hill Street past Proctor. It was named for William H. Willard, an early tobacco manufacturer in Durham.
Wolf Den Street*
A "Wolf Den Street," taking its name for a local tradition, appears on a 1911 plat of Merrick, Moore, Spalding [sic] Co. land in the Dunstan (a.k.a. Stokesdale) neighborhood near NCCU. However, it was never built.
A "Wright Street," possibly named for former W. Duke Sons & Co. partner Richard Harvey Wright, appears on the 1887 Branson's Directory map between Morgan and Randolph (later Fernway) streets. It was incorporated into the later Cigarette Street.
Yancey Street, also shown as "Yancy" on some maps, was opened by 1887, when the Branson's Directory map shows it running west from Willard Street past the town limit. It was split into two segments by the Durham Freeway in the late 1960s.