William Daniel Hill

Born in Richmond, Hill was a graduate of Virginia Union College and attended Columbia University before starting an insurance career in Virginia. He went to work for the Mutual Life Insurance Co. in 1917 and after some time as a field agent became an assistant secretary at the home office. Brother of Union League executive Arnold Hill, W.D. Hill was a founding member of the Durham Committee on Negro Affairs (now Committee on the Affairs of Black People) in 1935.

William Daniel Hill (1890-1945), better known by his initials "W.D.," is the namesake of W.D. Hill Recreation Center on Fayetteville Street.

Hill was an executive of North Carolina Mutual Life Insurance Co. and the prime mover in that firm's projects to serve Durham's African American youth. With Judge Mamie Dowd Walker, Hill created the John Avery Boys Club in 1939. That institution (now a Boys and Girls club) has carried on ever since.

Working with John H. Wheeler of Mechanics and Farmers Bank, Hill lobbied for and won a USO Club for black GIs in Durham. This club was one of four USOs in Durham opened to serve soldiers stationed at the 20,000-acre, 30,000-person Camp Butner training and medical post near Durham. After the war, the club was reorganized in Hill's memory as the W.D. Hill Community Center.

Fayetteville Street