Duke Memorial United Methodist Church

Trinity Methodist Church established a Sunday school for the west side of town in 1885, which, supported by tobacco manufacturer Washington Duke, first met in the Duke cigarette factory. Amos Gregson became its pastor in 1886, when the group took the name Bethany Sunday School and moved into a building of its own at the corner of Main and Gregson streets currently part of the Brightleaf Square parking lot.

The name changed again, to Main Street Methodist Church, and with continuing growth its members began planning a new building. They bought the former home of William T. Blackwell, a Baptist whose Blackwell Durham Tobacco Co. had been a major Duke competitor, and broke ground at the church's present site in 1907. In 1925, the church took the name Duke Memorial.
Streets
Chapel Hill StreetMemorial StreetDuke StreetGregson Street